Decadence is made easy with these dreamy Strawberry Soufflé Pancakes.
- 1 hr 30 mins
FOR THE MERINGUE FILLING
- 125ml water
- 310ml castor sugar
- 3ml cream of tartar
- 3 extra large egg whites
- 3ml strawberry or vanilla essence
- 3 drops red food colouring (optional)
FOR THE STRAWBERRY SYRUP
- 80ml smooth strawberry jam
- 45ml water
- 250g strawberries, halved
- Follow the method for making basic pancakes. Fry a third of the batter for 2-3 minutes. Then flip the pancake and cook for about 1 minute until cooked. Place on baking paper and cover with a clean towel. Repeat with the rest.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. For the meringue filling, heat the water, 250ml of the sugar and cream of tartar on medium and stir until dissolved. Increase the heat to high, bring to boil and cook for about 10 minutes until a lightly golden sugar syrup forms.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the remaining 60ml sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Mix in the strawberry or vanilla essence and food colouring (if using). Add the sugar syrup in a thin steady stream, while beating until combined.
- Spoon the meringue mixture onto one half of each pancake and fold the other half over to enclose the filling. Pack on the prepared tray and bake for about 10 minutes until puffed.
- Meanwhile, for the strawberry syrup, heat the jam and water on medium until melted with a syrupy consistency. Mix in the strawberries. Serve with the soufflé pancakes.