This stuffed butternut roast is a delicious vegan option for the Christmas table.
- 2 hrs
- 1 whole butternut
- olive or avocado oil, for frying
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60ml dry lentils
- 60ml white rice
- 310ml vegetable stock
- 50g pecan nuts, chopped
- 125ml dried cranberries
- 3ml crushed chillies
- handful mixed herbs (like sage, coriander and thyme), chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut the butternut in half lengthways. Scoop out and discard the seeds, then put
both halves on a baking tray, cut side up. Rub all over with oil. Season. Bake for about 1 hour or until tender. Cool slightly, then scoop out the flesh, leaving a 2cm border all around. Chop up the flesh.
- Heat a splash of oil on medium-high and sauté the carrots, celery, onions and garlic. Season. Add the lentils, rice and stock and bring to a boil while stirring. Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until cooked and stock is absorbed. Remove from heat. Combine the remaining ingredients with the scooped out butternut.
- Place as much of the stuffing into both sides of the squash as you can. Pick up one squash half and flip it on top of the other. Tie up with kitchen string.
- Rub the outside with oil. Bake for about 30 minutes or until heated all the way through. Take care when slicing as it falls apart easily.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: December, 2017