This Summer Radish Soup makes a great starter for a dinner party.
- 1 hr
FOR THE SOUP
- 15ml butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 300g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 300g radishes, sliced
- 250ml Greek yoghurt
FOR THE FLORAL CHEESE BALLS
- 50g Goat’s cheese
- 50g cream cheese
- edible flower petals (like pansies, daisies, lavender and wax) + extra
FOR THE BASIL OIL
- 45ml olive or avocado oil
- small handful basil
- baby basil leaves, to serve
- For the soup, heat half the butter on medium low and sauté the onion and garlic. Add the potatoes and stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and set the liquid aside (see tip).
- Heat the rest of the butter on medium and sauté the radishes. Add the potato liquid and cook for 3 minutes. Blitz the soup with the yoghurt until smooth. Season.
- For the cheese balls, combine the cheeses and shape into 12 balls. Roll the balls in the petals, pressing them on as you go.
- For the basil oil, blitz the oil and basil together. Season.
- Serve the soup at room temperature with the basil oil, cheese balls, extra petals and baby basil sprinkled over.
You won’t need the cooked potatoes for the soup, but do not throw them away. Mash with a knob of butter and cream and season, or use in a frittata
Magazine issue date: October, 2015