Sweet and sour meatballs with Asian salad coming up in 30 minutes!
- 30 mins
FOR THE SAUCE
- 45ml brown sugar
- 60ml white wine vinegar
- 30ml tomato purée
- 15ml soya sauce
- 250ml pineapple juice
- 30ml water
- 8ml cornflour
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 500g beef mince
- 60ml breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- handful coriander, chopped
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 small savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- handful coriander
- For the sauce, bring the sugar, vinegar, tomato purée, soya sauce and pineapple juice to a boil
on medium-high. Reduce heat.
- Stir water into the cornflour and add to the sauce. Whisk while cooking for 3-5 minutes or until slightly
thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For the meatballs, combine the mince, breadcrumbs, egg and coriander. Season and shape the mixture
into ping-pong ball-sized meatballs.
- Heat the oil on medium-high and fry the meatballs for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked. Add half of the sweet and sour sauce and toss to combine.
- Combine the remaining sweet and sour sauce with the cabbage and coriander.
- Serve the meatballs with the coleslaw.
FEATURE: VICKIE DE BEER ASSISTED BY JULIA VAN MAARSEVEEN AND INGE BARTSCH PHOTOS: LEE SCHWAGELE
Magazine issue date: September, 2016