Tempura veg are a delicious Asian snack of veggies dipped in a light batter and deep-fried until crisp.
- 45 mins
FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE
- 30ml ginger, finely grated
- 45ml soy sauce
- 125ml fish or vegetable stock
- 30ml rice vinegar
- 15ml hoisin sauce
FOR THE TEMPURA
- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 375ml cake flour
- 330ml sparkling water, chilled
- 5ml salt
- handful cauliflower florets
- handful broccoli florets
- 1 red onion, sliced into strips
- handful green beans, stems cut off
- For the sauce, squeeze the juice from the ginger (discard pulp) and mix with the remaining ingredients.
- For the tempura, heat enough oil for deep-frying on medium-high. Whisk together the flour, water and salt.
Dip veggies into the batter, one at a time, shaking off any excess batter to lightly coat.
- Deep-fry in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Serve
immediately with the dipping sauce.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY ALFRED NQAYI PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: March, 2018