Tall textured buttercream cakes are on trend, fun to make and you really can’t make a mistake – just keep adding colours until you’re happy.
- Takes 1 hr 30 mins + cooling
- Makes 1
FOR THE CAKE
- 8 eggs
- 375ml castor sugar
- 250ml hot water
- 250ml sunflower oil
- 20ml vanilla essence
- 660ml cake flour
- 40ml baking powder
- 3ml salt
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM
- 1½ x 500g blocks soft butter
- 1.5kg icing sugar
- 5ml Turkish delight flavouring
- 45ml milk
- food colouring of your choice
FOR THE TURKISH DELIGHT FILLING
- 125ml cream
- 80g packet Turkish delight, finely chopped
- For the cake, preheat oven to 180°C. Line 4 x 19cm cake tins with baking paper. Beat together the eggs
- Beat in water, oil and vanilla. Sift over flour, baking powder and salt and fold in. Divide between tins. Bake
for about 25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in tins.
- For the buttercream, beat the butter until pale and creamy. Beat in the icing sugar, one cup at a time. Beat
in flavouring and milk. Spoon ½ of the buttercream into a piping bag with a 1cm round nozzle.
- For the filling, beat together 180ml of the buttercream with the cream until soft peaks form. Fold in the
- Place 1 cake on a cake stand and pipe a rim of buttercream around the top (this will prevent the filling
from seeping out). Spread ⅓ of the filling inside the rim. Top with another cake and repeat the layers, ending with cake on top (base up).
- Spread a thin layer of buttercream all over the cake to trap crumbs. Set in the fridge for about 15 minutes or until firm.
- Spread another layer of buttercream evenly over the cake. Use a palette knife dipped in hot water
- Divide remaining buttercream between 3-5 bowls (keep 1 uncoloured) and colour each to your preference. Dab and smear blobs of the different colours of buttercream around the side of the cake.
- Sugar syrup: Add extra moisture to cake layers by spritzing sugar syrup over the cooled cakes. Heat 125ml water and 125ml castor sugar on medium-high, stirring until dissolved. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add 5ml rose water or Turkish delight flavouring. Cool and pour into a spritzer bottle.
- Extra decoration: Add patches of gold leaf and flowers on top.
- Save money by using baking margarine instead of butter.
- If you don’t have 4 cake tins, make ½ the cake batter and bake in 2 tins, then repeat, instead of leaving the batter to stand.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: ANDREA CALDWELL
Magazine issue date: Feb, 2019