A comforting vegetarian Three-cheese Cauliflower Bake with cheese sauce and crunchy breadcrumbs.
- 1 hr
- 250ml sourdough or ciabatta breadcrumbs
- 10ml olive or avocado oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- 30ml Parmesan cheese, grated
- large handful parsley, chopped
- 1 cauliflower head (about 500g), cut into large florets
FOR THE THREE CHEESE SAUCE
- 45ml butter
- 90ml cake flour
- 750ml warm milk
- 80ml Parmesan cheese, grated
- 80ml white Cheddar cheese, grated
- 80ml blue cheese, crumbled
- 5ml ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the breadcrumbs on a baking tray and drizzle with oil. Season and bake for about 10 minutes until golden. Set aside and allow to cool, then add the lemon zest, Parmesan cheese and half of the parsley.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Add the cauliflower florets and blanch for 5 minutes or until just tender. Strain and place in an ovenproof dish.
- For the three-cheese sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan on medium, add the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk to the flour mixture, stirring to prevent lumps. Add the cheeses and nutmeg and cook for 5-8 minutes. Season and pour the sauce over the cauliflower florets. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the crumbs, then bake for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle over the remaining parsley and serve warm.
Magazine issue date: June, 2015