Roma tomatoes will have everyone fooled with this vegan-friendly ‘tuna’ nigiri.
- 50 mins + cooling
- Makes about 10
FOR THE SUSHI RICE
- 200g sushi rice
- 60ml rice vinegar
- 15ml maple syrup
- 5ml salt
FOR THE NIGIRI
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 1 nori sheet, cut into 1cm strips
- wasabi, for spreading
- soy sauce, to serve
- pickled ginger, to serve
- For the rice, rinse rice under cold running water. Bring rice and 375ml water to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until cooked and no more water is visible.
- Combine rice vinegar, maple syrup and salt. Stir into the rice. Shape into 30ml oval bundles. Cool.
- For the nigiri, cut a cross on one end of each tomato. Pour enough boiling water over the tomatoes to
cover and leave for 1 minute. Refresh immediately in ice water. Peel, quarter and remove seeds.
- Spread a strip of wasabi on each portion of rice. Top with tomato and secure with a strip of nori, trimming
off excess. Serve with soy sauce and ginger.
Variation: For kids, use mashed avocado instead of wasabi.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: October, 2018