If you've left making fruit cake to the last minute, this cheat's upside-down fruit cake is the perfect solution – you can even enjoy it warm as a pudding.
- 1 hr 40 mins + cooling
FOR THE TOPPING
- 120g butter
- 180ml castor sugar
- 45ml golden syrup
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 5ml ground ginger
- 250g tub mixed glacé fruits, finely chopped
- 250ml sultanas
- 100g packet flaked almonds
FOR THE CAKE
- 600g box vanilla cake mix (including ingredients on packet)
- 125ml fruit mince mix
- 60ml sherry
- cherries, to garnish
- mint, to garnish (optional)
- For the topping, preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 26cm round cake tin with baking paper. Heat the butter, sugar, syrup and spices on medium, stirring until sugar has dissolved, without boiling. Spoon into prepared tin and top with the glacé fruit, sultanas and ¾ of the almonds.
- For the cake, prepare the cake mix according to packet instructions. Mix through the fruit mince and spoon into the tin. Bake for about 1 hr 10 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Drizzle over sherry. Set aside for 10 minutes. Turn over onto a serving plate. Cool. Top with cherries, remaining almonds and mint.
Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Feature: Margie Els-Burger Assisted by Nomvuselelo Mncube Photo: Dylan Swart
Magazine issue date: Jan, 2019