Replicate ‘boerewors’ rolls with this vegan-friendly recipe – great for meat-free Mondays!
- 45 mins + cooling
- Makes 6
FOR THE ‘BOEREWORS’
- olive or avocado oil, for frying
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely grated
- ½ beetroot, cooked
- 2 potatoes, cooked
- 60ml peas, cooked
- small handful parsley, chopped
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3ml ground cumin
- 3ml ground coriander
- 250ml dried breadcrumbs
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 410g tin tomato purée
- 10ml sugar
- 6 hotdog rolls, cut open
- For the ‘boerewors’, heat a splash of oil on medium and sauté the onion. Stir in the carrot and cook for about 2 minutes or until the moisture has evaporated. Stir in the remaining ingredients with 80ml of the breadcrumbs. Blitz until mashed. Cool completely.
- Divide the mixture into 6 balls. Using a small piece of plastic wrap, shape each into a sausage, rolling with the help of the plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until firm.
- Unwrap the sausages and coat in the remaining breadcrumbs. Heat a thin layer of oil on medium and fry the sausages, in batches, for about 5 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- For the sauce, heat a splash of oil on medium-high and sauté the onion and garlic. Add the tomato
purée and sugar, and heat through. Serve the sausages in the rolls with sauce.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: October, 2018