South Africa’s favourite, malva pudding, has just turned vegan – but lost none of its delicious flavour!
- 45 mins + cooling
- Makes 8
- 125ml dairy-free milk (eg almond or soy)
- 30ml white vinegar
- 375ml sugar
- 125ml apple sauce
- 30ml smooth apricot jam
- 30ml sunflower oil + extra
- 500ml self-raising flour
- 10ml bicarbonate of soda
- 3ml salt
FOR THE SAUCE
- 80g vegan margarine
- 125ml sugar
- 160ml coconut cream
- 5ml vanilla essence
- whipped Orley Whip, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 8 x 160ml dishes with extra oil. Mix together the dairy-free milk
and vinegar and set aside for 30 seconds to create vegan buttermilk.
- Beat together the sugar, apple sauce, jam and oil. Sift over the flour, bicarb and salt. Stir in the buttermilk and spoon into the prepared dish. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a testing skewer comes out clean.
- For the sauce, heat the ‘butter’, sugar and coconut cream on medium high while stirring until dissolved. Bring to a boil, then add vanilla and remove from the heat. Pour over the malva as soon as it comes out of the oven. Serve warm with Orley Whip.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY: NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Bake in a 20cm dish for about 35 minutes.
Magazine issue date: June, 2019