This healthy Vegetable Picnic Bread is perfect for picnics, or as an alternative to the usual "braaibroodjie" recipe.
- 35 mins
- 2 yellow peppers, quartered, deseeded, and stalks removed
- 4 baby marrows, sliced lengthways
- 1 brinjal, sliced into 1cm rings
- olive or avocado oil, to drizzle
- 1 medium crusty loaf
- soft butter, to spread
- 45ml basil pesto
- handful basil
- 125g Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the vegetables on a baking tray and drizzle with oil. Season. Roast for about 15 minutes until soft. Cool.
- Cut the top off the loaf to make a lid, then hollow it out. Blitz the removed bread to make breadcrumbs. Season 125ml of the crumbs and freeze the rest (see note).
- Spread the inside of the loaf with butter and pesto. Layer the filling, starting with the peppers, then the brinjal, basil, cheese, tomato slices and baby marrows, sprinkling a thin layer of seasoned breadcrumbs between each layer. Repeat until full.
- Replace the bread lid, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Slice or cut into wedges to serve.
Freeze breadcrumbs in an airtight container for up to 3 months .Breadcrumbs can be used to stretch meat when making meatballs, patties or fish cakes. Alternatively, toast and flavour the breadcrumbs to sprinkle over pastas.