This vegetarian lasagne is perfect for meat-free Monday dinners.
- 1 hr 45 mins
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
- olive or avocado oil, for frying
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 50g sachet tomato paste
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 5ml dried Italian herbs
FOR THE VEGETABLES
- 600g baby marrows, thinly sliced lengthways
- 600g spinach, chopped
- 125ml feta, crumbled
- 600g brinjals, cut into 5mm rings
FOR THE WHITE SAUCE
- 120g butter
- 180ml cake flour
- 1.5L milk
- 120g Cheddar, grated
- 5ml smoked or plain paprika
- 500g dried lasagne sheets
- For the tomato sauce, heat a splash of oil on medium and sauté the onion and garlic. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, stock and herbs. Season. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- For the vegetables, cook the baby marrows in salted boiling water for 1-3 minutes or until cooked. Drain and refresh in cold water. Drain. Cook the spinach in salted boiling water for about 1 minute or until wilted. Drain and refresh in cold water. Drain and mix the feta through the cold spinach.
- Heat a griddle pan on medium-high, brush the brinjals with oil and grill in batches for about 1 minute on each side or until charred. Season.
- For the white sauce, melt the butter on medium. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute or until the mixture is bubbling. Gradually stir in the milk until smooth. Cook, while stirring, until the mixture boils and thickens – about 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese and paprika until melted. Season.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 6cm x 28cm x 38cm ovenproof dish. Spread a thin layer of the white sauce into the prepared dish and top with a layer of lasagne sheets. Layer one of the vegetables, followed by one of the sauces (alternating tomato sauce or white sauce between layers) and then lasagne sheets again. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, ending with a layer of white sauce.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and allow to rest in the heated oven for 10-15 minutes.
Magazine issue date: November, 2017