No vegetarian should feel left out on burger night. These veggie burgers with radish and cucumber will have meat-lovers drooling too.
- 1 hr
- 1 butternut, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 ½ cups cooked IMBO Brown Lentils
- 280ml rolled oats
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 45ml coriander, chopped
- 15ml thyme, leaves picked
- 5ml Marmite
- 15ml molasses, to taste
- 1 egg
- sunflower oil, for frying
- 6 sesame rolls
- lettuce leaves
- ½ cucumber, grated
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- Close the butternut in a plastic bag and microwave on high for 10 minutes. Allow to cool before mashing. Add the chickpeas, lentils, oats, carrot, coriander, thyme, Marmite, molasses and egg. Use your hands to gently combine the mixture, roughly crushing the chickpeas and lentils.
- Shape handfuls of the mixture into 6 patties and arrange on wax paper. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour until firm.
- Heat a splash of oil and carefully fry the patties for about 5 minutes per side, or brush with oil and bake for about 25 minutes at 180°C until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Serve on the rolls with lettuce, cucumber and radish.
Did you know: you can swop half the meat in almost any recipe for lentils.
Magazine issue date: June, 2015