You'll be amazed at these veggie peel fritters and how scrumptious they taste!
- 3 mins
FOR THE BEETROOT PESTO
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 250ml beetroot leaves and skins
- 125ml coriander + extra
- 80ml olive oil
- 125ml feta, crumbled
- squeeze lemon juice
- 1 chilli, chopped
FOR THE FRITTERS
- 750ml potato and/or carrot peels, julienned or chopped
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 3 eggs
- 30ml cake flour
- handful coriander, chopped
- sunflower oil, for frying
- For the pesto, blitz all the ingredients until a paste forms. Season.
- For the fritters, combine the peels and onion. Season. Set aside for 10 minutes. Squeeze the vegetables between your hands to drain as much moisture as possible.
- Mix in the eggs, flour and coriander. Heat a splash of oil on medium-high, spoon in 4 x 60ml dollops of the mixture and flatten slightly. Fry for about 3 minutes on each side or until the fritters are golden and crisp on the outside. Serve with pesto and extra coriander.
Note: like kale, beetroot leaves have a slightly bitter taste.
Magazine issue date: October, 2016