Winter hits the sweet spot with a delicious waffle jaffle! It’s also great to make on the braai.
- 1 hr
- Makes 6
- 430ml self-raising flour
- pinch salt
- 15ml sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 250ml milk
- 80g melted butter, cooled + extra
- 180ml filling of your choice
- toppings of your choice, to serve
- Sift the flour and salt together. Make a well in the centre. Beat the sugar and egg yolks until light and creamy. Mix in the milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients and the butter into the dry ingredients, beating until smooth. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then fold through the batter.
- Heat a jaffle iron on medium-high until hot and grease with cooking spray. Add 60ml batter, then 30ml filling in the centre and cover with 60ml more batter. Close and cook for about 6 minutes, turning until golden and cooked through. Keep warm and repeat with the rest. Serve with toppings.
Fillings + toppings:
Jam (topped with whipped cream and berries), thick custard (topped with cinnamon sugar and banana or syrup and pecan nuts) or chocolate spread (topped with ice cream and dark chocolate shavings).
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY: NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTO: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: July, 2019