This trendy Whole Roast Bacon, Beer And Cheese Cabbage is a meal on its own or serve it as a side at your next braai.
- 1 hr 45 mins
- 1 medium head cabbage
- olive or avocado oil, for drizzling
- 15ml Dijon mustard
- 3ml garlic powder
- 60g butter
- 500ml beer
- 12 strips streaky bacon
- 250ml matured cheddar, grated
- 60ml bbq sauce
- sour cream, to serve
- handful thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Use a sharp knife to remove the stem and core (reserve). Spread the cabbage all over with oil. Season all over as well as in the cavity.
- Combine mustard and garlic and spread inside the cavity of the cabbage, then add the butter. Place the cabbage, cavity side up, in a deep roasting tray. Add the beer to the tray and cover with foil. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Make a lattice pattern out of the bacon on a piece of baking paper by laying half the bacon slices side by side and alternating remaining in the opposite direction over and under the other strips.
- Stuff the cabbage cavity with cheese and place the reserved core, trimmed, back on to serve as a lid, preventing the cheese from melting out. Place stuffed side down back into the roasting tray and brush with the bbq sauce. Cover the cabbage with the bacon weave and then remove the baking paper. Use toothpicks to secure the loose ends of the bacon to the cabbage.
- Bake, uncovered for about 30 minutes until tender when tested with a paring knife and bacon is browned. Remove toothpicks and serve cut into wedges with sour cream and scatter with thyme, if you like.
Magazine issue date: March, 2020