Poached eggs are not only healthy but delicious too. We show you how to poach an egg like a true chef.
- Working with 1 egg at a time, crack an egg into a small bowl.
- Fill a wide saucepan with water until about 8cm deep. Add 15ml vinegar and 5ml salt.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low until the water is simmering, with small bubbles rising from the base of the pan.
- Stir water in one direction to create a whirlpool with a wooden spoon.
- Slide the egg from the bowl into the centre of the whirlpool, as close to water as possible.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes for a semi-soft yolk, without stirring.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg. Season and serve.
To serve more than 1 egg, transfer the poached egg to a bowl of cold water (this stops the cooking process). Remove and drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Skim off any foam that comes to the surface. Repeat with remaining eggs.
To reheat eggs, bring a clean pan of water to boil then remove from heat. Add poached eggs and stand, covered, for 1 minute. Remove and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.