Learn how to make a magic loop for both right and left-handed people in this step-by-step crochet picture tutorial.
WHAT IS A MAGIC LOOP?
This starting technique is important to master for amigurumi and crocheting in the round as no centre hole appears in the finished work.
- Hold yarn with yarn tail facing down. Take working end and cross it over your finger, not too tightly.
2. Slip the hook under the loop
3. …and pull through the working yarn.
4. Bring the hook up,
5. …and hook the working yarn through the loop once more.
6. Pull the yarn through.
7. Take the loop off your finger.
8. Begin to crochet, working in the yarn tail,
9. …around the ring,
10. …for as many crochet stitches as your pattern needs.
11. Pull the ring closed by tugging on the yarn tail end.
12. This forms a tight circle so you don’t have a hole in the centre of your work.