Follow this step-by-step picture tutorial and make these sweet ‘Mock’aroons in no time!
- Makes 16 biscuits
- Takes over 1 hr+ setting
- 4 extra-large egg whites
- 530g (4 cups) icing sugar, sifted
- 60ml (¼ cup) ground almonds
- 8ml (½ T) rosewater
- few drops red and pink food colouring
- 16 x 4cm round cookies (see note)
- sprinkles, crushed and/or edible glitter
1. Beat the egg whites and icing sugar together to form a paste that’s stiff enough to set, but still runny enough to coat. Stir in the almonds and rosewater. Divide the icing into 4 bowls, then colour 3 of the bowls with a few drops of food colouring to create different shades of pink. Cover the remaining white icing with plastic wrap and set aside.
2. Twist the cookies open (see tip) and keep the sides with the iced centres separate. Using 2 forks, dip the cookies, one by one, in the coloured icing and shake off the excess. Place the cookies, inside down, on baking trays lined with baking paper or silpads, and allow to set for at least 4 hours or overnight.
3. Break the excess icing off to form round cookies. Spread a thin layer of the reserved white icing onto
half the cookies and sandwich with the other half (use an iced centre side with a plain side). Sprinkle
glitter or sprinkles onto the iced grooves. Leave to set for an hour.
NOTE: We used a 175g packet of Oreo cookies, but you can also use a 205g packet of McVitie’s Digestive Vanilla
If the cookies are difficult to twist open, microwave them for a few seconds for the icing to soften up slightly.