What you’ll need
This week Jenny takes you through the equipment and fabric you’ll need to make this beautiful baby quilt.
- A sewing machine in working order
- A quarter-inch foot on the machine, or a mark on your machine to indicate a quarter-inch seam allowance
- A walking foot for the quilting
- Cutting mat, marked in inches (all quilting work is done in inches). A good mat size is 18 x 24 inches
- A rotary cutter with a new blade. Jenny suggests getting a 45mm cutter
- A quilter’s ruler, marked in inches – 6 x 24 is a good one
- Small scissors
Fabric and thread
- 100% cotton works best.
- For the quilt design, you will need two different colours, each in five different variations:
- Colour 1 (We used pale green) – 5 pieces of 0.25m each
- Colour 2 (We used grey) – 5 pieces of 0.25m each
- Binding – 0.5m in either colour (We used grey)
- Backing – 1.5m in either colour (We used grey)
- Batting – 1.5m needle punch batting (thin batting)
So head down to your favourite sewing shop in your area to get the fabric and equipment you’ll need.
Share the love with: #YFquiltalong
Please let us know if you’re taking on the challenge! Take a picture of your fabric and equipment and post it on social media for us to see:
Instagram: tag @quiltingalice and @yfmag
Facebook: tag @Jenny Smith’s Quilting and @Your Family Magazine
For any queries contact: [email protected]